Monday, June 17, 2013

Skirt Obsession and a Quick Study of Fabric Types Using the Same Pattern

Now that summer is just around the corner, I've been thinking about making casual skirts that I can wear to work. Shorts are usually a summer staple for me, but when I feel like looking a little nicer, yet casual, I go to skirts. I've been seeing knit skirts being worn around town and thought, "I can do that!" I finally found the perfect pattern: Simplicity 1616. This pattern includes skirts made from knits and wovens. I selected view B, but shortened it about 14 1/2" above the hem line. I used size 18, knowing that I might have to do some alterations depending on how the yoke fits around my hips. My hips are the hardest part to work around sometimes!

The first skirt I made is from an ITY knit print. This fun retro floral print is from Fabric Mart's retail store, bought a couple years ago.


The second skirt is made from a rayon knit print from France - purchased at Fabric Mart. (It only made it through the wholesale division, sorry!) This rayon print was more on the lighter side, but not sheer. It has a crepe-finish, along with an NYC themed print. I've loved this fabric from the day I laid eyes on it, but had no idea what to do with it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to make an entire dress from it, but when I decided I was making this skirt, I thought it was perfect! (Plus I have about a yard left that I can make a shirt or tank!)




I intentionally selected two different fabric types because I wanted to see how each laid and fit. I love ITY knits just because they are comfortable, fashionable and easy to travel with. The ITY knit seems to have a little more weight to it as well as stability/ sturdiness that the rayon knit did not. Therefore, the ITY knit snugged my hips while still hugging and flaring a bit. The rayon knit was airy and lightweight with a decent amount of stretch (I think it was 4-way stretch, actually.) But when making the yoke, I ended up sewing it about 1/2" in on the side seams because the rayon knit stretched so much and was lighter than the ITY, therefore feeling like it may fall off after a whole day's use.

Now I want to make one for every day of the week! They are so comfortable! Just pair it with a basic shirt and your good to go for work, travel, or a weekend outing! So what are my plans for future skirts? I'm going to make one in a black or gray jersey knit so it can go with a variety of shirts in my closet. I would also like to try one out of a silk knit I have in my stash. I don't have quite enough to cut the yoke out of the same fabric though. So what I am going to do is find a coordinating fabric that can be used for the yoke. Does anyone know if you can wash silk knits? If so, should I do it before I cut out the pattern? Also, if I wash it first, should I select a solid silk knit for the yoke or can I select another fabric content?


1 comment: