Monday, September 9, 2013

One Pattern, Two Garments

I'm pretty far behind on posting about newly made garments, but have pretty legit reasons for this. From a broken dryer a few weeks ago, to a malfunctioning hot water heater, then a really leaky toilet turned whole bathroom renovation, the past couple of weeks have been a whirl wind of distractions that are necessary to take care of.

Back in February, I made a rayon challis dress using Simplicity 1810. I really loved how it turned out and knew this pattern was a keeper. I made it from a floral burst print rayon challis from Fabric Mart. (Bought about 2 years ago.) 




The pattern was easy and because it is a loose design, the belt helps create a waist on an otherwise shapeless dress. The belt is actually attached to the dress. When you sew the darts into the back of the dress, you insert the belt edges into the dart. Then when you sew the dart, the belt stays attached. I always lose belts that coordinate with specific garments, so this is perfect for me!


The other thing I liked about this pattern was the fact that the facing ends up being stitched down without hand-stitching. The pattern calls for you to put bias tape on the armholes. I created my own bias tape from the fabric. The facing is wide enough to catch in the armhole and actually helps make the shoulder strap sturdier. 



This dress is so comfortable. It is light and airy and perfect for really hot days. Wear it on a cool day with a cardigan. I loved the pattern so much I decided to make a blouse! The pattern has both dress and tunic/blouse length.



This tunic took just an afternoon to cut and sew from start to finish. I would definitely recommend it to a beginner and as seasoned seamstress. The blue ikat print rayon challis is from Fabric.com, bought about a year ago.

Now it's time to start thinking about my fall wardrobe. What is everyone else making for fall? Stay tuned for my fall wardrobe wish list and a recent fabric purchase!




1 comment:

  1. see my comments on pattern review - way to alter.
    sewing canary.

    ReplyDelete