Friday, March 16, 2012

Handmade in Portland

While waiting for my next appointment (on my trip to Portland, OR), I came across a super cute shop called Little Things. Little Things is on Lovejoy St. in the Pearl District of Portland. I was greeted by the cheerful owner, Andrea Angell, who took me on a quick tour of her tiny shop. The store carries handmade goods made by local artisans. While the store was filled with a variety of jewelry pieces, there were also Kokka linen change purses, "Portland" prints and artsy picture frames. I had to get myself a piece of Portland, so I bought a pair of earrings from Moss Handmade.

Moss Handmade 
The earrings shown in the picture to the right are not the earrings I bought, but the picture gives you a really good example of the delicate crocheted pieces. The crochet work is so tiny! The earrings have a modern, vintage feel with beads adorning the bottom of the circle. The prices are also reasonable and would make a great gift!

Crocheted jewelry must be a popular trend in Portland, because I found another crochet jewelry artist, Amira Mednick. Her work is a little more expensive than Moss, but for good reasons. She pairs beads and thread by crocheting them on hammered brass. She also makes earrings using heavier thread knots and beads for more of a color pendant. 


Amira Mednick (Above and Below)



Portland's artisan and design community is surely thriving. There are a number of neighborhoods with boutiques, consignment shops, home decor shops and more. Portland is definitely the place to go if you like to support handmade, local made and independent designers. NE Alberta Street and Pearl District are all great places to find local art and design. Check back later for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment