Have a person on your gift list, but have no idea what to get for them? Making a gift is the perfect idea and it will be even more thoughtful than a silly little gift they don't really want anyway.
Infinity scarves are super easy and quick to make. They are called infinity scarves because they look like a continuous piece of fabric in a tubular form. You can make them in almost any type of knit. Knits come in so many different prints that you can make one for every outfit in your closet.
Here is what you will need:
- Sewing machine
- 1/2 yard of knit fabric (sweater knit, rayon knit, ITY knit, cotton knit, etc)
- Thread to match
- Hand sewing needle
1) Fold the 1/2 yard piece of knit in half the long way. Pin along the entire long edge.
2) Using a thin zig-zag stitch (almost straight stitch), stitch the long edge. I pull slightly on the front and back of the fabric as it goes through the sewing machine so that when the scarf is finished, it can be stretched and the seam does not break. Serge the seam if possible.
3) Put your hand through one open end and pull the other end through, matching raw edges and seams. Pin together.
4) Sew along the raw edges of this "tube", making sure to leave an opening to turn right side out. Serge if possible.
|This is what the scarf should look like before turning it right side out.|
5) Turn the entire scarf right side out. Hand stitch the opening closed.
You can also make these scarves with 2 yards of fabric, cutting 18" from the selvedge. You will get at least three scarves from this. Making them this way may create a different drape effect.You can make the scarf fuller by using a 3/4 yard piece of fabric or 27" piece of fabric (if you are making it with the 2 yard piece of fabric.
This fabric is still available on Fabric Mart's website! Check it out now!
Make a scarf for everyone on your list! What will you be making as gifts for the holidays?